Sunday, July 27, 2008

Lunch: Mediterranean Salad

I was struck with a desire to do something this week that had mozzarella in it. So I did a little research and came upon this recipe for a Mediterranean Orzo Salad with mozzarella, cannellini beans, and all sorts of other good-for-you components, tossed together with a lovely dressing. I had to restrain myself from devouring the entire bowl so that I'd have enough for 4 servings to take to lunch this week.

Mediterranean Orzo Salad with Mozzarella and Cannellini Beans
(makes 4 - 5 servings)

1 cup orzo
1 1/4 cup grape tomatoes, halved
1 cucumber, peeled, halved and sliced
4 scallions, finely sliced
20 Kalamata olives, pitted and halved
10 - 15 mozzarella balls, quartered
1 jar (6.5 oz.) artichoke hearts, drained and halved
1 can (15 oz.) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained

Dressing

1/4 cup lemon juice
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 tbsp. red wine (or sherry vinegar)
1 tbsp. parsley
1 tbsp. basil (I left this out and just used oil from the mozzarella balls that was loaded with basil instead)
1 tsp. dried marjoram
salt and pepper to taste


Prepare orzo by bring a pot of water to a boil. Add the orzo slowly, stir, and bring back to a boil. Cook for 10 minutes, drain, and cool.

In a large bowl, combine cucumber, tomato, scallions, olives, mozzarella, artichokes and cannellini. Combine, then add orzo once cooled. Prepare dressing and toss thoroughly to coat.


Costs

Cucumber $.99
Tomatoes $2.50 (I used about 3/4 of the package, so I have some for another meal)
Cannellini beans $.79
Mozzarella $5.99 (I used all but 5 balls, so I can use those in future salads or meals)
Scallions $.89
Lemon $.50
Parsley $.99
Orzo $7.99 (for a huge tub of it, I have enough now to make this recipe like 5 more times)

Total cost: $5.16

No comments: