Sunday, September 12, 2010

Chicken Salad with Egg, Avocado & Tomato

This is a family favorite that my mom makes. If I ever get a new digital camera (my latest one was destroyed at a wedding in Calistoga when someone knocked over a candle, spilling wax all over the lens... ugh!), I'll put up a pic of the pretty way my mom puts together the plate with a serving of chicken salad served on top of red leaf lettuce with alternating wedges of tomato, avocado and hard-boiled egg around the edges.

Chicken Salad (2 servings)

2 cooked chicken breasts (I prepared mine with 1 tsp of olive oil, some Mrs Dash's seasoning, fresh parsley and lemon juice)
1 celery stalk
1/2 red onion
1 tbsp chopped capers
1 - 2 tbsp lowfat mayonnaise
1 tsp Dijon mustard
salt and pepper to taste

Dice the chicken, celery, red onion and capers and mix together with the mayonnaise, mustard, salt and pepper. Serve on top of red lettuce with alternating wedges of tomato, hard-boiled egg, and avocado (in 1 serving, 1/2 a tomato, 1 egg and 1/4 avocado). Drizzle with red wine vinegar vinaigrette (2 tsp red wine vinegar, 1 tsp olive oil, 1/2 clove garlic, salt and white pepper).

No comments: