Sunday, September 14, 2008

Lunch: Borscht Soup

I was inspired to make this about a month ago when I was reminded of its existence at a Polish restaurant down the street from my house. Why had I never ventured to make this particular soup before, as I have tried to make virtually every other soup that I enjoy, I wondered. So I did some research, and settled upon trying this recipe from a soup cookbook my aunt gave me a few years ago for Christmas, as it was one of the few I found that didn't require procuring a cut of beef from a butcher. I have no doubt that using beef shank would make an amazingly richer, more heavy soup, but this one turned out amazingly well -- a clear, delicate, bright purple broth (both in colour and flavour), with a hearty amount of vegetables to balance the flavour of the beets. I can't wait to try it again, next time with the aforementioned beef shank.

Borscht
makes 5 large, lunch appropriate servings

3 beets
2 slices bacon, chopped
1 large onion, finely diced
1 carrot, peeled and cut into matchsticks
1 parsnip, peeled and cut into matchsticks
1 celery stalk, cut into matchsticks
1 leek, sliced
1/2 savoy cabbage, sliced
1 1/2 quart chicken or vegetable stock
2 cups reserved beet juice (from boiling the beets)
3 beets, parboiled, peeled and diced (wear gloves!)
1 teaspoon marjoram
4 parsley stalks, chopped
2 cloves of garlic
2 bay leaves
1/4 cup fresh dill (or about 1 tablespoon dried, which is what I used)
pepper to taste
red wine vinegar to taste (about 1 tablespoon)
sour cream for garnish

In a large saucepan, cover beets with water and bring to boil. Boil for 12 - 15 minutes, until beets are partially cooked. Strain, reserving liquid from beets. Allow beets to cool. Return liquid to saucepan and simmer until it's needed later on in the recipe (this will allow the liquid to reduce some and concentrate its flavour).

In a soup pot, cook bacon until crisp, over medium heat. Add onion and cook for 2 minutes. Add carrot, parsnip, celery, leek and cabbage. Cook about 5 minutes, then add cabbage. Cover pot and cook over low heat for 10 minutes, allowing cabbage to wilt. Add stock. Using gloves, peel and prepare beets. Add beets, then add 2 cups of simmering beet liquid. Add marjoram, parsley, garlic cloves and bay leaves. Bring to a simmer and simmer, uncovered, for about 45 minutes. Remove garlic clove and bay leaves, add dill, pepper, salt (if needed) and red wine vinegar. Cook for a few more minutes, then serve, with a dollop of sour cream.

One of the better dishes I've made in a long time. Now to find a butcher so I can try this with beef.

Costs

Beets $2.59
Cabbage $2.62
Vegetable broth (can) $1.39
Chicken broth (carton) $3.49
Red wine vinegar $3.79
Onion $1.10
Parsnip $.75
Carrot $.73
Leek $1.08
Garlic $.51

Total $18.05
Total per serving $3.61

No comments: