Monday, June 23, 2008

Flank Steak

In order to make this week's lunch, I needed to prepare the meat. I bought a .83 lb flank steak and tried out my mom's amazing marinade, which requires a good 24 hours soak in the fridge before broiling (or grilling). It's a large recipe, but my mom said she freezes it after using it and reuses it about 3 times.

Flank Steak Marinade

1 cup soy sauce (I used low-sodium)
1/4 cup vegetable or olive oil
1/2 cup sugar (my mom said she uses a little bit less)
1 jigger gin or vodka (I went without since I didn't have any on hand)
1 tbsp. toasted sesame seeds
3 - 4 green onions, thinly diced
1 clove garlic
1 tsp. fresh ginger (I probably used closer to 3)

Combine all the ingredients and let the steak marinade over night in the fridge for at least 12 hours. I prepared my steak by broiling it for about 5 - 7 minutes on each side. Doing this on a warm, humid New York night was probably not the wisest of decisions, but it makes your kitchen smells divine and gives the meat a delicious crust on the outside.

Costs

Sesame seeds $2.49
Kikkoman Lite Soy Sauce (large bottle) $3.49
Ginger root $.72

Total: $6.70
approximate cost per use: $2.24 (if you use it 4 times total -- you should also have plenty of soy sauce, ginger and sesame seeds left over for other meals)

No comments: